This post was published 9 years, 3 months ago. Due to the rapidly evolving world of technology, some material it contains may no longer be applicable.
Well the 2011 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona has now drawn to a close. Its been the largest most exiting one yet and Android was clearly the highlight of the expo this year with the invasion of hundreds of big green statues of the ‘Little Green Dude’ everywhere!
The word ‘more’ aptly describes the 2011 Mobile World Congress:
- More attendees than ever before
- More outstanding exhibitors than ever before
- More CEOs delivering keynotes than ever before
- More CEOs in attendance than ever before
- More Conference Attendees than ever before
- More App Developer Conferences than ever before
All the biggest electronics manufactures and software developers were showing off their upcoming tech for the Android platform too – including some really innovative and futuristic designs and demos! These included some really awesome phones and tablets as well as apps and games for us droid fans to get excited about! I really feel this is going to be a year of massive Android explosion!
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the event myself but I have been staying well tuned and have online partners who kept me well-informed. I’m sure you have already heard a fair amount on the big announcements at the MWC 2011 already but here are some of the highlights:
An exciting lineup of inspiring speakers from mobile operators, consumer brands, organisations, and industries touched by the mobile market including advertising, health, entertainment and education presented at more than 40 conference sessions at MWC. Keynote speakers included:
- Daniel Hajj, CEO, America Movil and Telcel
- Randall Stephenson, Chairman, CEO and President, AT&T
- Wnat Jianzhou, Chairman, China Mobile
- John Chambers, Chairman & CEO, Cisco
- Hans Vestberg, President & CEO, Ericsson
- Eric Schmidt, Chairman an&d CEO, Google
- Peter Chou, CEO, HTC
- Paul Otellini, President & CEO, Intel
- Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft
- Stephen Elop, President & CEO, Nokia
- Ryuji Yamada, President & CEO, NTT DoCoMo
- Paul Jacobs, Chairman & CEO, Qualcomm
- Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO, Research In Motion
- Masayoshi Son, Chairman & CEO, SoftBank
- Jack Dorsey, CEO, Square
- Cesar Alierta, Executive Chairman & CEO, Telefonica
- Dick Costolo, CEO, Twitter
- Vittorio Colao, Chief Executive, Vodafone
- Sir Martin Sorrell, Chief Executive, WPP
- Carol Bartz, CEO, Yahoo!
Keynote speeches by Google’s Eric Schmidt, Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer and Twitter’s Dick Costolo were broadcast live and archived for viewing on Mobile World Live, so visit the site today to hear them speak for yourself!
Highlighting the Best of the Industry
Mobile World Congress 2011 hosted the 16th annual Global Mobile Awards, which recognised outstanding offerings in a number of categories, covering topics from apps and entertainment to devices and innovation. For a full winner list, please click here
Samsung, HTC, LG and Motorola were all showing off their latest tablet creations at the MWC this year. Its was an Android party, and Honeycomb was on the menu!
New Android tablet announcements included:
- HTC Flyer
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
- Samsung Glaxay S WiFi 5.0
- ViewSonic ViewPad 10Pro
- LG Optimus Pad (aka T-mobile G-Slate)
- Motorola Xoom
Of course it just wouldn’t be right for there not to be tonnes of new Android smartphones as well and there were! In-fact, there were such an unbelievable number I won’t be listing them all but here is a list of some the most exciting phones announced at the MWC:
- Motorola Atrix
- LG Optimus 2X
- Motorola Droid Bionic
- HTC Thunderbolt
- HTC Merge
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
- Samsung Infuse
- LG Revolution
- Samsung Stealth V
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- HTC Desire S
- HTC Incredible S
- HTC Wildfire S
- HTC Pyramid
- Nexus S (white)
- LG Optimus 3D
- Dell Thunder
Most of the new HTC products announced at the 2011 MWC are also already listed on HTC’s website so you can find more info there.
Many of these newly announced tablets and smartphones I will be doing blog posts on in the near future so stay tuned for updates!